A realistic knitted Fly Agaric for those who enjoy autumn and challenging knits
Ever so often I get bored. And it’s then I need to pick up my 2.0 mm needles and start knitting something. Recently I am fascinated by mushrooms (like my free porcini pattern). I am sort of addicted to knitting them. A nice fly agaric was still missing in my collection. So, naturally I had to give it a try.
I love the way they turned out and people on Instagram (make sure to follow me there & so we can stay in contact!) have been asking me for a pattern a lot. Sadly, it’s not the easiest pattern with lots of fancy stitches and techniques. It will take a lot of time to compile a proper pattern and I’m not sure if it’s worth it.
That’s why I decided to start a little waiting list. If I get more than 100 people who are interested, I’ll start writing the pattern. So, if you are one of them, fill out the form below!
Getting the shape of the cap right took me like 4 attempts, and I am not even joking. For some reason, I’ve got it into my head that I wanted the gills to dive/converge into the center (the real amanitas have a hemispherical shape as well), but that proved to be quite difficult without showing the increases and, usually, knitting just doesn’t behave like that when stuffed.
I knitted these fly agarics in the round with fingering weight wool from Schachmayr and Wollmeise (the vibrant red), then stuffed them with toy stuffing, and fitted some bonsai wire to their stipes so they’d stand up properly.
After many trials, I decided to embroider the white spots (“warts”) of the fly agaric using a french knot (mostly three or four wraps) because much too my surprise, in nature, these are not even at all and look actually quite of like pustules. In an earlier version I only scattered a couple across the cap, but decided to add a lot more later on (see picture above).
This knitting pattern really cost me some nerves. Especially as those twisted rib stitches are a pain to increase and knit on those small needles. BUT I’m also quite satisfied with how they turned out. They really look like the real deal, don’t you think?
I added the little ring around the stipe after I finished. Picking up those tiny stitches and then, of all things, doing a picot bind off was difficult, to say the least. It nearly drove me crazy and my fingers cramped like three times, lol. I probably should have added the fringed ring before finishing the cap.
The whole affair is around 15 cm high, which is, I think the size normal Fly Agarics grow to as well. But I’m not a mushroom specialist here 😉
Knitting techniques for this pattern
- Knit stitch
- KTBL – Knit through the back loop
- KLL – Knit through the left loop
- KFB – Knit front and bank
- YO – Yarn over
- K2tog – knit two together
- and how to cast on stitches
You also have to know how to knit in the round with a 5 needle set.
If you don’t know all (or half of these knitting techniques), I recommend you to go through my free knitting school. I’m expanding it constantly and almost all important stitches and techniques are explained in great detail with lots of high-resolution pictures and videos. You may start with my guide on how to knit in the round with double-pointed needles.
Obviously there is no pattern yet and I’d like to elaborate on that. I applied some interesting techniques on the fly that people won’t be able to understand without a picture and possibly videos to go along.
To give you a first impression of what I mean: I increased the twisted rib stitch with KLL but I then slipped the stitch and did a PLL and then slipped two stitches. It sounds all a bit weird but that was the only way I found to achieve an almost invisible increase for a twisted rib. I want to experiment a bit if I can tease out the same shape by splitting that weirdest of increases across two rounds.
Thank you for your understanding 🙂